Friday 10 October 2008

The Expert

With my xenophobic tendencies, taking advice from a Spanish therapist called Juan Carlos did not seem like the brightest idea. However he told me in our session that he is the expert on psychology and therapy, and I am the expert on me. These were wise words from a foreigner, and to my surprise, behind the annoyance of bad English, lay more interesting and - more importantly - thought provoking knowledge.

This took me by surprise. As much as I would like to think that I know myself very well, I do not, in fact, have a clue about the millions of different facets of my personality. It is true that I know more than most about Roberta Kate King, but this is far from a comfort, knowing that when I screw up, I only have only myself to turn to for answers.

And so, this is the proverbial journey to get to know myself a little. This is something that is about as exciting to me as getting to know George Bush, but I am hoping by the end of it I might even think of taking myself out for coffee, if not for the full fat cappuccino, then hopefully for the stimulating conversation.

No comments: